Insurance for STS Members
Updated 24th January 2018
STS & Bluefin Sport
STS is pleased to announce that it has teamed up with Bluefin Sport to provide insurance to its members for 2018. Bluefin Sport, part of the Marsh Insurance family, have extensive experience in providing insurance for the sports sector and a growing reputation in the shooting community.
We have worked with Bluefin Sport to get the best value deal possible for our members and have provided details of this below.
Period of Cover
Members will notice the STS policies below expire in October. STS would like to assure all members with insurance that STS will ensure cover for the full STS membership year and will therefore commit to providing cover for this entire period as advertised. Once we renew our insurance later in the year we will then re-issue/update members with the new certificates.
Cover for Individual Members
At STS we appreciate that every one of our members is different. While we cannot offer completely bespoke insurance packages, we have tried to come up with levels of cover that may reflect where you are as a shooter so you can be a member of STS without having to pay for insurance you don't need and won't use.
Essential membership is designed for those who shoot in a club but do not compete in events, except maybe postal shoots. As such, some of these individuals may not have a licence because they use club guns but because some will and therefore we provide cover to assist with licence revocation.
- Insurance to support the legal costs for appealing against the revocation of a personal Firearms or Shotgun Certificate
Enhanced membership has been designed for shooters who decide to take their shooting to the next level and travel to events in Scotland (and other parts of the UK) to compete. Shooters who travel and compete will likely have invested in their own firearm which is why we build on the Essential membership and add personal accident and equipment cover.
- Public Liability
- Personal Accident Insurance (up to £50,000)
- Personal Equipment Cover (up to £10,000)
Complete membership is designed for shooters who want to test themselves outside of the UK and shoot at events across the world. We therefore take the insurance cover from our other memberships and add on worldwide travel insurance as well legal support for personal criminal prosecution defence.
- Insurance to support the legal costs for personal criminal prosecution defence
- Worldwide Travel Cover for Shooting Activities
To make sure we keep our Worldwide Travel cover premium as low as possible and can pass these savings on to our members, we need to keep a record of trips made outside of the UK by our members so renewal time we can inform insurers the destinations and frequency of travel made by our members. To help us keep a record of this, we simple require members to complete the short form that can be accessed further down the page. Please also note, the travel cover is designed for shooting trips and competitions, not for general holidays or trips.
Register Your Shooting Trips with STS at least 2 weeks before you go!
If you are a complete member of STS, we have introduced a new requirement asking individuals to register their travel abroad with us so we can keep a track on the destinations our members travel to, how frequently they travel and how long they spend in each destination. This information is essential for 2 reasons:
- By registering your trip we pass this information on to the insurance company to ensure you are covered for your journey
- This information allows STS and the insurance company to keep an accurate record of the destinations, frequency and length of trips our members take abroad and therefore STS to get the best possible insurance package for members while keeping prices to a minimum
Cover for Club Plus clubs
As well as providing cover for individuals, STS provides target shooting clubs with a competitive insurance package through its Club Plus membership. The insurance package clubs receive through Club Plus membership is designed to provide clubs with value and essential cover for their activities, regardless of size. Club Plus provides clubs with the following insurance cover:
- Public, Professional & Products Liability (£10m)
- Employers Liability (£10m)
- Directors & Officers Liability (£10m)
- Abuse (£2.5m)
- Club Equipment Cover (up to £10,000)
- Insurance to support the legal costs for providing Criminal Defence support for all qualified Instructors
- Insurance to support the legal costs for appealing against the revocation of a Club Licence
- Insurance to support the legal costs for club Criminal Prosecution Defence (including Employment Defence and Contract Disputes)
As every club is different, we have agreed with Bluefin Sport that our members can contact them directly and agree personal terms to build on the cover our Club Plus members receive so they can have the peace of mind that they are suitably covered
Directly below are the schedules and policy wording documents provided by Sportscover and at the very bottom of the page we have provided contact details for clubs wanting to contact Bluefin Sport to build on the insurance they receive through being Club Plus members of STS.
STS will also provide Club Plus Clubs with a letter provided by the insurance company that can be used to satisfy MOD, landowners and other parties which may require evidence of insurance. The letter provided will be a simple 'To whom it may concern' letter and is not intended to list all of the covers provided as part of the membership to STS since the policy schedules will be better placed to display this information along with the conditions etc. If your club is a Club Plus member and does not receive either an electronic or hard copy of this letter the please contact the STS Office and we can get this issued to you.
STS Insurance FAQs
Often the documentation that comes with insurance still leaves a few practical questions unanswered. For that reason, STS has worked with Bluefin Sport to provide a list of questions we are commonly asked in the STS Office so we can provide our members with the answers in plain English.
We will look to update this list with questions as they come in so before contacting us we would always recommend visiting this page first to see if your question has already been asked and answered.
Finally, if you can't find an answer to your insurance related question then please contact Bluefin Sport using the contact details provided at the bottom of this page.
Cover for individual members - General FAQs
- What are the age limits for the personal accident policy?
- Cover is for members ages 3 – 80 years.
- Does the STS insurance policy cover lone shooting?
- Cover would apply in respect of officially organised club/association activities only.
- Will the travel insurance provided cover me for when I go on holiday also?
- No, personal travel will not be covered by the insurance, coverage only applies for shooting trips (evidence of this may be required in the event of a claim such as competition entry).
- What should I do if, through my memberships of different shooting bodies, I am covered by more than one insurance policy and I need to make a claim?
- Depending on the activity at the time of the loss, you may be covered by numerous policies from the shooting organisations you are affiliated to. We recommend that you notify all shooting bodies of your incident and you will then be advised accordingly if you are covered under more than one insurance policy.
- I am based in England, am I still covered by the insurance cover received through STS membership?
- Yes, providing you are carrying out STS approved activities.
- Under the Liability and Personal Accident cover provided, what the insured permitted activities:?
- The following are the insured permitted activities under the Liability and Personal Accident cover:
- Small Bore;
- Crossbow (as a secondary activity to Target Shooting),
- Full Bore;
- Clay Pigeon;
- Black Powder;
- Bell Target;
- Vermin Control;
- Rough Shooting;
- Practical Shooting (disciplines as covered by UKPSA);
- Official Events and Competitions.
Cover for individual members - Coaching FAQs
- I have completed the NSRA Club Instructor Course but only received a certificate of competence because I am not an NSRA member. Will the cover provided by STS cover me to coach regardless of whether I am an NSRA member?
- Providing the coach can evidence their certificate of competence then coverage will be in force. If the coach does not receive a certificate of competence then no coverage will apply.
Cover for Club Plus Clubs - general FAQ
- We own electronic targets at our indoor range but occasionally move them outside or lend to other clubs, will they still be covered under our equipment insurance?
- Yes, you are covered if you lend the equipment to another club or move the equipment outside. However, cover would not apply if you leave the targets unattended and out in the open. Please see the full conditions on portable equipment noted in the policy wording.
- Are guests, visitors and non-club competitors covered by the club’s insurance with STS?
- Spectators, visitors and guest are covered under the Public Liability insurance but they are not covered to undertake any shooting activities. Guest will be covered under the Public Liability and Personal Accident insurance for a maximum of 3 sessions or 3 hours, whichever occurs first. The guest must receive the correct training/induction prior to participating and the sessions or hours need to be recorded and signed. After this has expired the guest must become a member to remain covered.
- My club has equipment over £10,000, how do we extend the cover to ensure the rest of the equipment owned by the club is covered?
- Please contact Bluefin Sport to increase your cover, contact details have been provided below.
- The Club is based in England, is it still covered by the insurance cover received through STS membership?
- Yes, providing you are carrying out STS approved activities.
We have tried to provide information and answers to cover the most frequently asked questions on the insurance cover provided by Scottish Target Shooting but it is impossible to cover everything so we have set up an enquiry line with Bluefin Sport to direct further enquiries and support clubs wishing to extending their Club Plus cover. Bluefin Sport can be contacted at:
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0345 872 5060